Beyond The Joke features original daily news, views and interviews from the UK comedy scene and the world of broadcasting, covering radio, TV, film, internet and any other new-fangled things that are invented in the future.
I launched Beyond The Joke because there is so much fantastic contemporary comedy to write about and so much comedy news to report. I am the Comedy Critic of the London Evening Standard, but there is simply not enough space to cover it all in the newspaper so Beyond The Joke is the one-stop shop for all your comedy needs compiled by professional journalists.
You can contact BTJ at firstname.lastname@example.org or write to BTJ, 30 Beauval Road, London, SE22 8UQ.
I want the site to be a cliché-free zone and have a few modest guidelines as follows:
1) BTJ will do its best to resist using the word "genius", except when writing about Daniel Kitson.
2) BTJ will never start a piece with the line "Have you heard the one about..."
3) BTJ will never use the phrase "laughing all the way to the bank" unless writing about a comedian giggling while checking his savings account.
4) BTJ will never use the phrase "comedy is a serious business"
5) BTJ will never use the phrase "...is no laughing matter"
If you like what you read you can also buy my book, Beyond A Joke. There are numerous links on the site, but as you are here you can also click here. If you are wondering why the website is not called Beyond A Joke that is because the person who owns that domain name wanted way, way too much money for it. If I paid what they wanted they really would be laughing all the way to...
Bruce Dessau, Editor, December 2012.
Competition Terms & Conditions:
1. All entries must be received by the closing date of the competition.
2. The winner will be drawn at random from all correct entries received.
3. The winners will be notified by email within a week of the closing date of the competition. Please provide the correct email address otherwise your entry may be considered null and void.
4. No responsibility will be accepted for lost entries.
5. The judge's decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
6. Employees of Beyondthejoke and their families are not eligible.
7. There is no cash alternative.
8. The competition is only open to UK residents.
9. Beyondthejoke reserves the right to substitute prizes of equal or greater value.
10. Please note that travel and accommodation are not provided unless stated.